Face Off: Therapeutic Tape
By Editorial Staff
Face Off offers you the opportunity to learn more about products / services you may be considering for your practice side-by-side so you can make an informed purchasing decision. This month's product category is therapeutic tape.
This Month's Questions
1. The revolution is now taking place. The new Performtex Kinetic Pro kinesiology tape is unique because it utilizes:
2. Performtex Kinetic Pro is more effective because:
3. Use the product in practice in two ways: 1) by providing clients with reliable continuing therapy in excess of one week, post-adjustment; and 2) by providing you with an increased revenue stream, based on available billing protocols.
4. Performtex Kinetic Pro: 5-meter rolls @ $15.95/each. Bulk rolls (35-meter) @ $79/each. Performtex Classic: 5-meter rolls @ $9.95/each. Bulk rolls @ $59/each. Bulk purchase discounts available.
GoTape (Fokus, Inc.)
1. GoTape's design is what makes our product unique! GoTape was created with our All Performance Adhesive, which is specially formulated and aged (like a good wine), making it easy on the skin while adhering for several days in the toughest conditions (water, sweat; you name it). GoTape distinguishes itself by using a high-quality 100-percent cotton weave that is soft to the touch while improving breathability and flexibility on the skin.
2. GoTape has an exceptionally strong elastic core, which improves elasticity. The elasticity and rebound effect create a more dramatic vertical lift of the skin, allowing for increased blood flow. This improved circulation provides faster pain relief and acceleration of the healing process.
3. GoTape gives patients an immediate feeling of relief and biofeedback, is cost-effective, and can generally be applied within 2-5 minutes. Additionally, GoTape's strong adhesive quality, combined with its gentleness on the skin, provides little or no risk of trying this new modality if you aren't already using it in your practice. Simply stated, GoTape is an extra tool in a DC's tool box, and a very effective one at that.
4. We have steeply discounted our products for our DC clients. We offer both precut and uncut rolls with two varieties of sizes and an assortment of colors as follows:
Additionally, we sell our GoTape scissors, in both yellow and black, for the clinician price of $18.99 each.
Kinesio Holding Corporation
1. Kinesio Taping focuses on education, research and development, while building an accredited training program and certification for practitioners in the health care field. Education is one of the key elements of the Kinesio Taping® Method that sets us apart. As a practicing DC, Dr. Kenzo Kase, inventor of the Kinesio Taping® Method, is dedicated to advancing the art and science of the method through education, clinical practice and research.
2. The Kinesio Taping® Method is a rehabilitative taping technique designed to facilitate the body's natural healing process while providing support and stability to muscles and joints without restricting the body's range of motion; as well as providing extended soft-tissue manipulation to prolong the benefits of manual therapy administered within the clinical setting. Latex-free and wearable for days at a time, Kinesio® Tex Tape is safe for populations ranging from pediatric to geriatric, and successfully treats a variety of orthopedic, neuromuscular, neurological and other medical conditions.
3. Based on years of clinical use, Kinesio® Tex Tape is specifically applied to the patient based upon their needs after evaluation. The findings of the clinical evaluation or assessment dictate the specifics of the tape's application and other possible treatments or modalities. With the utilization of single "I" strips or modifications in the shape of an "X", "Y" or other specialized shapes, as well as the direction and amount of stretch placed on the tape at time of application, Kinesio® Tex Tape can be applied in hundreds of ways and has the ability to re-educate the neuromuscular system, reduce pain and inflammation, enhance performance, prevent injury, promote good circulation and healing, and assist in returning the body to homeostasis.
4. For product pricing and more information, visit www.kinesiotaping.com or call 1-800-320-8273.
Click here for video presentation from this vendor.
1. Unlike other kinesiology tapes made for rehabilitation, RockTape was created for the heat of competition. We knew firsthand that medical tape would fail under extreme conditions, so we developed a stronger, stretchier and stickier kinesiology tape. Designed to stretch and move with the skin, our tape provides a 180-percent stretch that mimics the skin's natural range of motion. RockTape is manufactured using high-quality cotton, ultra-stretchy 6/12 nylon, and hypoallergenic, skin-safe adhesives. RockTape is available in dozens of styles, colors and patterns – including wide rolls, edema pre-cut strips and more. It can also be customized with a practice's logo and colors.
2. RockTape microscopically lifts the skin away from the muscle and fascia below, which decompresses the area and promotes blood flow. We've observed this decompression effect using ultrasound imaging, showing a direct change to underlying tissues. RockTape can be used to enhance recovery, improve movement mechanics, reduce pain, and correct posture issues.
3. By integrating RockTape therapies into their practices, DCs can ensure superior outcomes and offer extended value to their customers for multiple days after a visit. RockTape also can be sold to patients post-treatment, opening a new revenue stream.
4. RockTape rolls retail for $20, with bulk rolls available at $120. However, medical practitioners have access to medical pricing, with discounts available between 40 percent and 50 percent off retail pricing.
1. STRENGTHTAPE is the official tape of the IRONMAN triathlon series because of its ability to last through an entire IRONMAN event. We often hear back from physical therapists, chiropractors and trainers that they prefer STRENGTHTAPE because it is the perfect balance between stretch and stick.
2. STRENGTHTAPE offers exclusive AllSport™ Adhesive that helps it stick for up to seven days through water, sweat and mud, to support muscles and tissues while still allowing full range of motion. STRENGTHTAPE is made of breathable cotton and elastic. It is not made with natural rubber latex.
3. Because of its ability to remain adhered for up to seven days while maintaining its elasticity and stretch, STRENGTHTAPE provides a better value for DCs, as it does not require new applications as often. Patients are able to enjoy the benefits from a single application of kinesiology tape for much longer and are more satisfied with care when STRENGTHTAPE is used.
4. We sell 5-meter rolls in two options: precut or uncut. Precut rolls come perforated in 10-inch strips with rounded corners. Either option of the 5-meter roll can be purchased for $9, with an MSRP of $19.95. The 35-meter rolls come in uncut only and can be purchased for $50 with an MSRP of $99.95. Contact Skylar at for more information about STRENGTHTAPE and to learn how you can set up your medical professional account today.
1. RapidForce Physio Hybrid Shapes fill the gap between supportive non-elastic tape and elastic kinesiology tapes, bringing a new, innovative solution to muscle support and pain relief. Designed using the science of physiology and movement, the products are precut, anatomically structured shapes engineered using specially selected compression fabric and hypo-allergenic medical- grade adhesives in a proprietary layering system. This unique engineering results in a mechanically stronger product with elastic tension 15x stronger than kinesiology tape, and a universal stretching capability which provides consistent support through the full range of motion.
2. Muscles, tendons and joints requiring rehabilitative care need a powerful and dynamic force applied on the outside of the body to aid in healing. RapidForce shapes channel this force to a center point where the shape gives the most structure and support; while the arms of the shapes borrow stability and strength from underlying muscles, tendons and ligaments to provide stabilization. The body's response to the external force has been shown to be reduced pain, improved inflammatory dispersion and increased blood flow.
3. RapidForce shapes are applied for muscle support to retain natural movement and can also be used for restricting movement. With their multifaceted functionality, the shapes can be utilized from onset of injury to completion of treatment, and both before and after clinical sessions. The shapes remain on up to five days and patients can apply easily for effective post-treatment compliance.
4. The manufacturer's suggested retail price for one RapidForce shape is $12.95. Wholesale pricing is available to participating health care providers for in-clinic application and patient resale. Contact us at 262-297-4678 for pricing details.
1. KT Tape is trusted by Olympic athletes, professional athletes, weekend warriors, and everyday consumers to provide pain relief and support. KT Tape uses a therapeutic taping technique that helps facilitate the body's natural healing process. KT Tape's lightweight elastic tape is 100-percent latex-free and water resistant.
KT Tape's precut 10-inch strips save a busy practitioner time cutting strips and rounding edges. KT Tape PRO synthetic features extra strong microfibers with 4x the strength of cotton, and provides greater recoil and support.
2. KT Tape can easily be applied hundreds of ways to reduce pain and inflammation, relax overused or tired muscles, support muscles, re-educate the neuromuscular system, and promote healing. KT Tape does not restrict motion or body mechanics.
3. Chiropractors use KT Tape as part of a physical therapy program to treat and or prevent a variety of conditions and injuries, such as lower back strain / pain (e.g., herniated disc, subluxations), shoulder conditions, rotator-cuff injuries, whiplash, pre- and postsurgical edema, muscular and spinal injuries, and many more. Thousands of patients have found KT Tape to be an effective addition to their rehabilitation process.
4. Our KT Tape PRO Jumbo roll (125 feet) is offered exclusively to clinicians for only $31.50 ($89.99 MSRP) and lasts more than 50 applications. Call 801-494-6240 or email Mat Pentelute at to learn more.
Click here for video presentation from this vendor.
1. XactStretch™ and best-in-class adhesion make our product unique. Leveraging our rich TheraBand expertise and innovation, we have designed a new, unique and innovative feature – XactStretch – that ensures an appropriate and effective application for the body part or condition every time. XactStretch has visual elongation indicators, making specific kinesiology tape elongation easy and eliminating misapplication.
TheraBand Kinesiology Tape's website provides access to the best kinesiology tape research library in existence: a collection of more than 200 research abstracts including Performance Health studies, and demonstrations of the most common tape applications.
2. Safe and effective, TheraBand Kinesiology Tape supports muscles and joints, relieves pain, and lasts for up to five days. It works because it sticks! Kinesiology taping helps treat a wide array of conditions, but choosing the right tape and applying it properly are essential. TheraBand Kinesiology Tape with XactStretch is the right choice for important clinical applications. Studies show proper tension is one of the most critical factors in application success. XactStretch™ visual elongation indicators enable everyone, from expert to beginner, to apply our tape with confidence, and enhance outcomes and results.
3. TheraBand Kinesiology Tape can minimize patients' pain while allowing for greater function and faster recovery. When taping, one of the primary concerns is overstretching the tape, which can lead to skin irritation and poor results. With TheraBand Kinesiology Tape's XactStretch guides, it's easy to apply the most effective amount of stretch every time to achieve the maximum benefit and outcome.
4. TheraBand Kinesiology Tape is competitively priced, available in eight designs, and packaged in bulk 103' and standard 16' continuous rolls and precut strips. Call your preferred distributor for pricing.
Click here for video presentation from this vendor.
1. MuscleAidTape stretches 100 percent, and is one of the thinnest and lightest-feeling tapes. It lasts for several days when applied to clean, dry skin; and is preferred by triathletes, surfers, and long-distance swimmers for its superb water-resistance and longevity in the water. This all helps give better range of motion to patients with absolutely zero distractions.
MuscleAidTape is the official licensee of the NBA and select universities, as well as the official tape supplier of USA Volleyball. Our more than 30 unique taping methods are also worth checking out at www.MuscleAidTape.com.
2. MuscleAidTape is effective because it lasts on the skin and is comfortable to wear. If the tape doesn't stick, it can't achieve its purpose. It will stay for at least five to seven days (although two to three days is recommended for first-time users or those with sensitive skin). MuscleAidTape lasts so long not because there's a lot of adhesive, which can make the tape feel thicker, but because of our proprietary treatment process. This process helps the tape stay on the longest and makes it less vulnerable to extreme weather like heat.
All our tapes are non-precut to take advantage of longer taping methods.
3. Use MuscleAidTape after treatments to help the effect of treatments last longer. MuscleAidTape can help reduce muscle / joint pain, aid with blood circulation, reduce swelling, and provide posture reminders. Check out our lower back taping and neck taping methods to help with pain associated with those areas, just to name a few.
4. Contact us directly for our special DC Practice Insights pricing of $10/roll for our solid colors with terms of net 30 days. Bulk rolls are coming soon.
Click here for video presentation from this vendor.
1. 3BTapes are made from a latex-free hypoallergenic cotton rayon fiber. They have a skin-friendly thermoplastic acrylic adhesive that has been tested and proven superior by athletes worldwide, including several world-champion swimmers. 3BTapes are water-resistant, air-permeable, and do not come off in the pool, shower or sauna if applied correctly. 3BTape currently comes in three versions: Single 5m rolls, Bulk 30m rolls and four versions of a precut tape called 3BTape PROcuts. 3BTape PROcuts were designed with the practitioner in mind, providing the four most commonly used cuts in a convenient pack of 40 strips per box.
We are also incredibly excited about a new version of our kinesiology tape called 3BTape Elite, out later this fall. 3BTape Elite will feature a new synergistic blend of cotton and synthetic fiber to combine the best features of both worlds. This new material offers unidirectional elasticity, better moisture release, and provides higher endurance for high-performance athletes and practitioners using it for sport-specific treatments.
2. When applied correctly, 3BTapes are effective by lifting the upper layers of skin during movement, helping to open up the lymphatic system, allowing free movement of fluids. This helps to reduce swelling and bruising, and increases blood flow, helping speed natural healing processes.
3. DCs can use 3BTapes in many practical applications, the most common being applications to improve circulation, proprioceptive awareness, edemas, arthritis and bruising, swelling and sprains. However, there are new techniques being defined every day including new muscle-chain applications for posture correcting.
4. 3BTapes are available in single 5m rolls for $9.95, cases of 10 for $90, and large 103m rolls for $55; while 3BTape PROcuts are available in four precut versions in packs of 40 strips for $29.95. 3BTapes Elite will be available in single 5m rolls starting at $15.95.